Pentacle’s Movement Media announces the First Annual UMOVE Online Videodance Festival from October 1-31, 2009 on the web and at select screening locations across the US and around the world in 2009-10.
UMOVE Vision Statement:
The medium of video has exploded on the web, and consequently, the web video format for dance and kinetic-based films is erupting within the media arts.
The web format has its own set of characteristics and conventions, and makes it possible for all disciplines and levels of film-makers to showcase their work. Movement Media’s goals are to highlight new works and assist Internet audiences in finding artist’s videos specifically dedicated to movement and dance. We also aim to challenge film-makers and audiences regarding their ideas of what dance film or movement media can be.
To date, the web format for dance and kinetic-based film has been under-recognized and under-valued by dance film presenters and curators. It’s time to give these videos a platform to receive both feedback and critical praise. We seek work that is strong in concept and execution, rather than sporting fancy production values or large budgets. Film-makers are free to use a variety of high and low tech media to create their work. We welcome work that is visually “moving” on intimate viewing devices such as laptops, mobile phones, and ipods.
Therefore, UMOVE is seeking interesting blends of dance and kinetic-based films that explore the full range and scope of this burgeoning genre.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: August 15, 2009
If your submission is chosen you will be required to submit digital stills and a finished copy of your video on DVD (NTSC only) for screening and publicity purposes by September 15, 2009. All submissions regardless of selection will be made available for public viewing on our blog, Move the Frame.
UMOVE submission categories
- Animation/Gaming – including digital animation, machinima, Second life, Virtual Reality games.
- Cell phone – videos made using a cell phone.
- Gone in 60 seconds – videos under one minute long
- Low/No Budget – videos made for under $1,000
- Surprise me! – unique uses of new media or digital technology
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The First Annual UMOVE Online Videodance Festival will take place October 1-31, 2009. The festival will feature short dance and movement-based videos that were made specifically for the web and other new media formats including cell phones, gaming, virtual reality worlds, and mash-ups. In addition to online programming on YouTube and Movement Media’s blog, Move the Frame, the festival will include a launch party and live screenings in New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, UK, and other locations to be announced.
UMOVE was started by three dance film-makers: Kriota Willberg, Marta Renzi, and Anna Brady Nuse (Pentacle’s Director of Movement Media) who are passionate about promoting dance film through any means possible. We seek to find the most innovative and engaging dance videos on the web and to highlight rising talent in the field.
October 1st will mark the launch of UMOVE online, and on October 14th there will be a live screening and party in New York after which the festival will tour to select locations around the country and the world in 2009-10.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
Movement Media’s mission is to provide services, strategies, and opportunities for artists making dance for the camera, and to help dance artists use media to promote and enhance their artistic pursuits.
All submissions must exist online and be embeddable (i.e., hosted on YouTube or another sharable online video platform). All videos must be under 8 minutes long. Only one video may be submitted per entrant. Student, professional, and amateur film-makers are all encouraged to apply.
Please submit the following materials via email:
- URL address of your video (double check the link works).
- Short biography/artist statement.
- Clearly label which category the submission should be reviewed under (see category list below).
- Brief synopsis of the video.
- Principal Cast and production credits listing
- Include a link to your website (if you have one)
- Include your email address (if different from the one you are sending from).
- Paste in the Terms and Conditions (see below) and type in your signature
- Email all information to email@example.com
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- I/we have read all of the rules and regulations for the UMove Online Videodance Festival (hereafter called the “Festival”).
- I/we understand and have complied with these rules.
- I/we warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
- I/we warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead
- I/we fully indemnify the Festival against any claim made for such violations of law.
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all of the statements herein are true and correct.
- I/we understand that failure to adhere to Festival rules and regulations will result in disqualification.
- I/we hold the Festival harmless from and defend against all claims, demands, losses, damages, judgements, liabilities and expenses (including attorney’s fees) arising out of or in connection with any all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on any film/video submitted to the Festival or on any film/video developed out of such submission.
- By submitting this entry, I agree that the UMove Festival may publicly screen my work as well as use stills and descriptive material in the official program and any other publicity efforts.
- In the event that I am selected as a Finalist, I will provide a finished copy in the format indicated no later than September 15th, 2009.
- I agree to hold the UMOVE Festival harmless in the event of loss or damage to my entry tape or material provided for Festival screening.