Video is exploding as a medium on the Web, and the web video format for dance and kinetic-based films is erupting within the media arts. Movement Media’s goal is to showcase these new works and assist Internet audiences in finding artist’s videos on the web which are specifically dedicated to movement and dance. Therefore, we are seeking interesting blends of dance and kinetic-based films which explore the range and scope of this burgeoning genre.
The first submission deadline for Movement Media’s Weekly Online Videodance Contest is June 2nd, with the winners to be showcased here on Move the Frame on Friday June 5th. A weekly Theme will structure the format of the submissions. You do not have to be a video-maker to submit a video. You can also nominate other people’s work if you think it fits the weekly theme and otherwise complies with the submission requirements.
- Submissions may be made by anyone – artists, film makers, and anyone who knows of online videos that fit the weekly themes.
- The video submitted must be under 10 minutes long.
- Pick/Submit one video to represent the theme identified.
- Send the link of the video to Movement Media (email@example.com).
- The video submitted needs to be embeddable, ie hosted on YouTube or another sharable online video platform.
- Include a short biography/artist statement (if it is your work).
- For every submission, include a short summary that describes why you have chosen a particular video for the contest and describe how it relates to the weekly theme.
- Include a brief synopsis of the video.
- Include a link to your website (if you have one)
- Include your email address
Email all information to firstname.lastname@example.org
If your submission is chosen for the weekly contest, we will contact you directly
Impetus for Contest Participants
- Have your videos seen by an online audience who’s interested in movement-based video.
- Receive publicity for your work/work of others
- Receive comments and feedback
- Automatic consideration for live screening at Kinetic Cinema in NYC.
- Automatic consideration for Movement Media’s Online Dance Film Festival in September 2009 (information and submission guidelines to be available here in late June).
Online Video Contest Themes
Theme one: Amateur or Professional
Submissions due by June 2nd. Weekly contest winners announced on June 5th.
Submit one video that represents either a amateur or professional video. Movement Media is dedicated to celebrating all levels of artistry by film makers. Movement Media’s blog will address important differences, and offer feedback and recognition to the artists of the works chosen from the pool of submissions for this weekly theme.
Theme two: Improvised or Choreographed
Submissions due by Monday June 9th. Weekly Contest winners announced on June 12th.
Theme three: Modern or Classical
Submissions due by June 16th. Weekly Contest winners announced on June 19th.
Theme four: Summer or Winter
Submissions due by June 23rd. Weekly Contest winners announced on June 26th.
Theme five: Rehearsal or Performance
Submissions due by June 29th. Weekly Contest winners announced on July 3rd.
*Future themes to be announced at a later date.*
About Movement Media
Pentacle’s Movement Media provides services, strategies, and opportunities for dance artists to make works for screen. The core activities of Movement Media are screenings, consulting services, workshops, and interactive media publications (blogs, social networks, online videos etc). These services address a growing need for dance artists to engage with media, particularly online and on new media platforms, in order to reach audiences, grow artistically, and stay relevant in today’s media-saturated world.
For more info on Pentacle’s Movement Media project, please visit our website: http://pentacle.org/movement-media.asp
We look forward to showcasing your work!